What we should do now is take all this theory and conceptual information and turn it into action steps that you can use to get the most out of your social media marketing efforts.

Step 1: Be sure your OMP has plenty of ways for people to share your content with their friends.

There are many plug ins available for free or for nominal fees that allow your readers or prospects to easily share your content via social media. Anybody who lands on one of your pages should be able to click one button and share your content via Facebook or email. Period. If nothing else, you must have those two options available. 

Step 2: Be sure your website REMAINS the center of your customer experience. 

I know way to many people who get hooked on posting content on social media directly. This is a huge mistake, because it puts your center of activity in somebody else’s control.  It is imperative that you create your content on your own platform, and then post a LINK to that content (with a summary or excerpt from it) on social media. By doing this, you are not only creating a unique user experience wherein you can have total influence over what your prospective customer sees, but you also have the ability to engage in that magical science called “retargeting” I discussed above. We’ll talk more about that in a bit.

Step 3. Focus on Facebook. Forget about the rest.

Yes, I said it, and yes, I mean it. You know the 80/20 rule? It’s been abducted by Facebook and they are running away with it. The fact is, 81% of all shared content on the internet goes through one source and one source ONLY: Facebook. The corollary to that mathematical fact is that the other 19% of shared online content is divided between these (and other) social media channels:

  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Pinterest
  • Google+
  • Tumblr
  • Instagram
  • VK
  • Flickr
  • Vine
  • Meetup
  • Tagged
  • Ask.fm
  • MeetMe
  • ClassMates
  • MySpace
  • YouTube

If you insist on using one of the other social media outlets, then make sure it receives your secondary attention. The only place where I would give even remotely equal attention to a second outlet is for Business-to-Business sales, and then I would just add LinkedIn. But I wouldn’t spend much time monitoring it, and I certainly wouldn’t create any specialized content for it.

Over half of Americans are on Facebook. By no coincidence, the other half are too old or too young to be on Facebook. Odds are about 80% or higher that whomever you wish to talk to is on Facebook, and you can find them there fairly easily. There are two ways to find them there, and they work together perfectly. Let’s talk about target markets, and retargeting. 

Unless you’re living in the stone age (and honestly, I just found somebody last week who IS living in the stone age!) you have your personal Facebook Page, and then a separate Fan Page for your business. No, this is NOT a private Facebook account named after your business (that’s what I saw last week).  You will know whether you have your page set up right if you have to accept friend requests or not. If you have to give somebody permission to follow your page, you’re doing it wrong.

You must have a Fan page that is dedicated to your one business. It needs to be focused and clean, using the same imagery as your OMP so that people are not confused. From within this fan page you will have the ability to do great things; the first of which is target marketing.